Having a bank of images was quite useful for the execution of this image. Shooting in RAW (in Canon case) and go storing random pictures of everyday life ends up being a very useful practice that I already use for years. What today seems a pointless subject tomorrow makes sense to supplement a picture. Normally I use my walking time for shooting natural scenery, skies and other elements. Of course that with this practice images keep accumulating and all that work could be unproductive if I didn’t cataloged each image. I use Picasa as image management program (there are other equally good and free) which allows me to search for them very quickly when I want to use it later. At the time of cataloging always use the key words that best describe the image to facilitate the search.
I always use two image backups that I put in separate locations to guard against any situation caused by natural or human phenomena.
This is my method but I know several photographers who have different storage methods and work equally well.
In this image I went to the bank of images to find a background that could help me make sense of the idea of someone being socially imprisoned and losing the sense of direction.
The image to the concept of social crisis was not initially thought this way. But that topic is for another post. Again, and as already mentioned in the last post, image making always starts some time before with the creation of the concept, the planning and the execution of a series of tasks.
Let’s see the final image and its creation process. This was incredibly easy to make.
Lets go step by step
I started to get an image to the bank of images (Image 1):
Then I photographed the model in a background that I tought it could be easier to do the transition to the circule layer. I used the natural light backed by 2 flashes based on two tripods.
First I used the clone tool to clean up the image from the holes and lines that dispersed our look for those points.
Then I used the command Edit> Transform> Perspective to reduce the inclination that the image had. Ran and resized the image and took one of the existing covers to make the connection between the locks and the platform. I deleted the other covers that did not matter:
Then I decided that the circle colors were not strong enought and I soaked the color a little more. Created new layers with a similar color. Reduced opacity to 20% and clipped to the shape of the circle star:
The next step was to place the model. I resized, and rotated the image. Used again the command Edit> Transform> Perspective to reduce the slope of the image and put it in symmetry with the circle. Then I removed the excesses of the image model to give the illusion that the two images were one. In this step you should be aware that the shadows of the model must be reflected on the ground (there are several tutorials that explain how to perform this task). We must also take care when we are erasing the excesses of the image model and we are reaching the desired point to create a smooth transition. Normally I reduce the opacity of the eraser gradually for color differences between layers going blurring. Finally I cut the currents excess. The image looks like this:
Finally I added several layers with different opacities in order to darken the corners of the image and give it a mystical look. One can use the indications of tutorials that teach create the fog effect for this step. The colors, the shape and opacity is at the discretion of each:
Thanks for passing by.